Whoever said “less is more” did not belong on the Harley-Davidson® Project RUSHMORE development team, because when it comes to motorcycle control, more is always more. To that end, Project RUSHMORE delivers 2014 Harley-Davidson® Touring and Trike models with more power, improved headlamp performance, and new Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS (Anti-lock Braking System).
These upgrades enhance rider control in a variety of situations. More roll-on power produces brisker passing performance. Brilliant headlamps illuminate the night, and make the motorcycle conspicuous to others. Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS is the ultimate rider-control tool when road conditions are less than ideal. Whether the ride is a cross-country ramble or a Saturday night cruise, these elements of Project RUSHMORE inspire rider confidence.
Project RUSHMORE Control Features include:
· High Output Twin Cam 103™ Engine: Harley-Davidson® powertrain engineers working with Project RUSHMORE tuned the new High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine specifically to deliver more passing power. Equipped with a new camshaft to optimize bottom-end torque and a new high-flow air box, the High Output Twin Cam 103™ delivers 5 per cent more torque than the standard Twin Cam 103™ powertrain in a Touring configuration. The result is a dramatic improvement in 60- to 80-mph roll-on acceleration in fifth gear, the kind of real-world power that hustles a rider back into the right-hand lane or up the mountain briskly, even with a passenger and gear on board. The new air box has the added comfort-enhancing benefit of improving legroom and airflow around the rider. The High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine is Original Equipment on the 2014 Harley-Davidson Road King®, Street Glide®, Street Glide® Special, and Electra Glide® Ultra Classic® motorcycle models.
· Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™ Engine: Designed to maintain performance in the most-challenging situations, the new Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™ powertrain is featured in the 2014 Ultra Limited and Tri Glide™ Ultra models. A combination of air cooling and precision liquid cooling strategies allow the Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine to maintain peak performance under the most demanding loads and riding conditions, and enables a higher 10.1:1 compression ratio for increased power and efficiency. The Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine offers 10.7 per cent more peak torque than the standard Twin Cam 103™ engine. Liquid coolant is routed through the cylinder heads in the area around the exhaust valves, then to ducted heat exchangers located in the left and right fairing lowers. The precision cooling system is thermostatically controlled, and uses an electric pump to circulate coolant. The Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine also may improve thermal comfort to the rider and passenger in extreme conditions, such as stop-and-go traffic in high ambient temperatures. Cylinder head temperatures are lower, the air box shape improves airflow, and a reshaped fairing lowers improve venting of air to the rider and passenger.
· New Hydraulic Clutch Control: All 2014 Touring and Trike models except the Road King® model are equipped with a new hydraulic clutch control that maintains the previous cable clutch-lever effort despite stronger clutch springs. The hydraulic clutch also does not require periodic adjustment or service, provides consistent engagement and modulation in all operating conditions, and provides consistent clutch-lever effort over the life of the vehicle. The 2014 Tri Glide™ Ultra model is equipped with a new Assist and Slip (A&S) clutch. The “assist” feature increases torque capacity at times of high demand while keeping lever efforts low. The “slip” feature enables smooth downshifts and engine braking. Clutch lever effort on the Tri Glide™ model is thus reduced by 23 per cent.
· Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS: All 2014 Harley-Davidson® Touring models are available with the new Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS as either Original Equipment or as a Factory-installed option. Reflex™ Linked Brakes combine ABS with electronically linked brakes to dynamically optimize front and rear brake balance. Linked braking is activated when the motorcycle is travelling between 32 and 40 kph. If braking is initiated at slower speeds, the front and rear brakes function independently. When linked braking is active, applying the front, rear or both brake controls will apply braking force to both the front and rear brakes in a proportion determined by the Reflex™ Linked Brakes system to optimize performance. The braking will stay linked as speed drops below the 32 to 40 kph threshold. Reflex™ Linked Brakes incorporates ABS to further help the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions. Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS are Original Equipment on the 2014 Street Glide® Special, Electra Glide® Ultra Classic®, and Ultra Limited Harley-Davidson® motorcycle models, and a Factory-installed option on the Road King® and Street Glide® models.
· Tri Glide™ Ultra Linked Brakes: The new Tri Glide™ Ultra linked brake system allows the rider to apply both the front and rear brakes through the rear brake pedal. This is accomplished by actuating two pistons of each new, six-piston front caliper when using the rear brake pedal. This provides more than 30 per cent more brake responsiveness when the rear pedal is applied. The full front brake system is applied only through the front brake lever and remains independent. A new Tri Glide™ Ultra parking brake system uses a foot pedal on the rider’s left side to activate the rear parking brakes.
· Daymaker™ LED Lighting: The Daymaker™ LED headlight and Daymaker™ LED fog lamps deliver a lighting pattern that is highly focused with outstanding “punch” into the darkness. The light quality closely mimics that of natural daylight to further enhance visibility, and its bright white colour is conspicuous in traffic. The Daymaker™ headlamp has two, D-shaped lenses: one that focuses light into a pool directly in front of the bike for outstanding low-beam illumination, and another, separate high-beam projector that delivers a super-bright, focused beam to penetrate deep into the darkness. Daymaker™ LED lighting is Original Equipment on the 2014 Electra Glide® Ultra Classic®, Ultra Limited, and Tri Glide™ Ultra Harley‑Davidson® motorcycle models.
· Dual Halogen Lighting: The new dual halogen headlamp significantly outperforms a single-element halogen headlamp in high-beam situations. This is because the low beam is also illuminated, increasing total lumens output. On high beam, the dual halogen headlamp offers better “punch” and spread than the Daymaker™ LED headlamp, but does not offer the bright white colour quality of the LED. The dual halogen headlamp is paired with halogen fog lamps on models so equipped. Dual halogen lighting is Original Equipment on 2014 Road King®, Street Glide®, and Street Glide® Special Harley-Davidson® motorcycle models.
· Improved Front Suspension: All 2014 Harley-Davidson® Touring models are equipped with new front suspension components, including larger fork sliders and stiffer triple clamps, which provide improved steering response. Fork diameter is increased from 43.1 mm to 49 mm (14 per cent). The steering stem is supported by larger bearings. Suspension damping has been re-tuned for a smoother ride over minor pavement irregularities like tar strips.
About Deeley Harley-Davidson® Canada
Deeley Harley-Davidson® Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, Genuine Motor Parts and Accessories, and MotorClothes® apparel, which are provided through a national network of authorized Harley-Davidson® Retailers. Office and distribution warehouse facilities are located in Richmond, British Columbia, and Concord, Ontario.
— From Deeley Harley-Davidson